Front Office Manager - Vail, CO
Responsible for supervising and coordinating activities and staffing of the Front Office, PBX, Concierge and Guest Services to ensure proper completion of all required tasks in a courteous and friendly atmosphere; assists guests and owners to maintain and exceed The Sebastian Vail standards and driving financial performance.
Essential functions as defined are ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents within this classification. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plans, organizes, schedules, reviews and evaluates the work of assigned staff.
- Develops and directs the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the department; prepares and manages assigned budget.
- Oversees the selection, training, professional development and discipline of staff.
- Develops, implements and oversees the execution of service standards.
- Identifies guest needs and provides information regarding policies, services and amenities.
- Facilitates problem resolution to presented guest challenges.
- Drives guest engagement and problem resolution.
- Ensures all assigned department operations are operating in an efficient and effective manner.
- Utilizes suggestive selling skills and company sales guidelines to maximize revenue and occupancy levels. Creates measureable up sale goals for front desk agents
- Maintains knowledge of room details as well as rates, packages, discounts and group package plans in order to process reservation requests or cancellations if needed.
- Maintains awareness of group reservations and activities on and off site.
- Performs all Front Office, PBX, Concierge and Guest Services duties as required.
- Oversees and assists with charges and payments to guest, club owner and house accounts.
- Oversees and assists with the balancing of the Front Desk cash drawers and all applicable Front desk city ledgers.
- Oversees the daily night audit to ensure all postings are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Oversees and reviews shift and time card reports daily.
- Manages logistics of large check-ins and check-outs coordinating with housekeeping to execute flawlessly and meet all guests and owners requests and needs pre -arrival.
- Maintains accounting of lost & found items and forwards to Housekeeping.
- Ensures all front of house areas are maintained in a clean and tidy manner and all assigned staff are in compliance with our grooming standards.
- Ensures all call logs, MOD reports, Daily reports and opportunity logs are filed and communicated appropriately and timely to applicable parties.
- Works closely with Reservations Manager to properly yield manage room inventory.
- Ensures maintenance of required supply inventory; replenishes or requisitions any supplies needed.
- Ensure proper processing of hotel wake-up call program.
- Ensures adherence to safety and emergency procedures and observes safety precautions required to protect hotel and guest property as well as meeting and implementing energy and sustainable conservation efforts.
- Oversees safe deposit box operations.
- Notifies engineering of areas needing attention in respect of maintenance.
- Resolves customer complaints/queries satisfactorily while maintaining a courteous and helpful demeanor.
- Leads all department and interdepartmental communications.
- Assists with all information necessary for budgeting purposes annually, seasonally or quarterly as requested.
- Oversees duty rosters and ensure that manning levels are correct, to agreed standards, and are not exceeded without permission.
- Ensures adherence to safety and emergency procedures required to protect hotel and guest property.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit's service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a team.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
Skills / Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge and/or skill required.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in hotel management or a related field; AND four (4) years of hotel operations experience; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Principles and practices of employee supervision, including selection, work planning, organization, performance review and evaluation, and employee training and discipline.
- Vail & Beaver Creek Ski Mountains and the Vail Valley.
- Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
- Principles, practices and techniques of the hospitality industry.
- Computer software applications in work processing, spreadsheets and hotel information systems (SMS).
- Policies and procedures of the department and company.
- Inventory and record keeping principles and practices.
- Customer service principles and practices.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Planning, organizing, supervising, reviewing and evaluating the work of staff.
- Training others in policies and procedures related to the work.
- Performing budgeting and accounting functions for assigned operations.
- Efficiently and effectively performing front of house operations management duties.
- Focusing on quests and provision of quality customer service.
- Making accurate arithmetic calculations.
- Reading, understanding and following reservation policies and procedures.
- Producing standard written communication and reports.
- Maintaining appropriate inventory of supplies and materials.
- Organizing own work, setting priorities and meeting critical deadlines.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
Job Status: Full Time