Director of Housekeeping
Responsible for supervising activities and staff related to cleaning and servicing of hotel rooms, residence club units, restaurants, banquet, spa and public areas while exceeding the high level of standards established by Company; oversees Laundry operations.
Essential functions as defined are ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents within this classification. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plans, organizes, administers, reviews and evaluates the work of assigned staff.
- Develops and directs the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the department; prepares and manages assigned budget.
- Oversees the selection, training, professional development and discipline of staff.
- Assists in planning goals, objectives, procedures and work standards for the unit; provides input into the unit's budget.
- Ensures that all hotel rooms, residence club units, public rooms and spa are serviced and cleaned daily in accordance with established standards.
- Ensures that function rooms are cleaned to established or exceeded standards as soon as they have been used for a fast turnaround.
- Ensures that rooms are checked regularly for repairs and refurbishing, and that appropriate maintenance is performed.
- Notifies the facilities department of areas needing attention in respect of maintenance.
- Oversee and maintain issuance and cleaning of all hotel staff uniforms
- Monitors and maintains hotel lost & found policy and procedures.
- Assists with purchase and inventory of cleaning materials and linens to ensure an adequate supply at peak occupancy.
- Ensures linen is within the established standard level of repair.
- Ensures that staff accommodation is kept clean and in a good state of repair.
- Assists with safety and OSHA compliance.
- Assists with all department and interdepartmental communications.
- Answers Housekeeping office phone in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Ensures dispatch and timely follow through of guest requests.
- Assists with all information necessary for budgeting purposes annually, seasonally or quarterly as requested.
- Ensures that services consistently meet customer specifications; responds to customer complaints/issues.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit's service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a team.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge and/or skill required.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma/GED; AND five (5) years of hotel housekeeping operations experience, two (2) years of which were in a supervisory role; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Principles and practices of employee supervision, including selection, work planning, organization, performance review and evaluation, and employee training and discipline.
- Principles and practices of developing teams, motivating employees and managing in a team environment.
- Proper cleaning methods, and the safe usage of cleaning materials, disinfectants, housekeeping tools and equipment.
- Procedures for the preparation and use of cleaning materials.
- Use and minor maintenance of hand and power tools and equipment used in housekeeping
- Safety practices and equipment related to the work.
- Use of specified computer applications involving word processing, queries, data entry and/or standard report generation.
- Office administrative practices and procedures.
- Record keeping principles and practices.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
- Planning, organizing, supervising, reviewing and evaluating the work of staff.
- Training others in policies and procedures related to the work.
- Providing customer service.
- Communicating effectively in oral and written forms.
- Organizing, maintaining and researching office files.
- Compiling and summarizing information and preparing activity reports.
- Organizing own work, setting priorities and meeting critical deadlines.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
Pay: from $60,000/year
Job Status: Full Time