Chef de Cuisine - Vail, CO
SUMMARY: To provide efficient and cost-effective food service to the hotel food outlets while maintaining or exceeding the high standards of the hotel. Assist the Executive Chef with a primary focus in menu development, menu recipes and costings, servicing outlets, supervising banquet events, inventory, and scheduling.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- All subordinate kitchen staff
- All subordinate stewarding staff
- All other heads of department
- Dining Staff
Limits of Authority:
As established by Executive Chef
- To deputize in the absence of the Executive Chef.
- Work in tandem and partner duties with Executive Sous Chef
- To hold daily meetings with the Chefs des Parties, head cooks and lead steward to ensure smooth running of all kitchen departments.
- To ensure that each dish leaving the kitchen is checked for quality, quantity, presentation, and correct temperature.
- To ensure that the dining room/ restaurant personnel are "standing by" when delicate dishes are served.
- To ensure that all communications between restaurant and kitchen run smoothly
- To ensure that all maintenance problems are timeously reported and followed up.
- To ensure that all staff is constantly trained to effect good portion control and pleasing presentation of all dishes.
- To primarily develop and create menus maintaining or exceeding the established criteria, paying special attention to seasonal availability. Specifically including completed recipe packs and detailed costs in line with budgeted cost of goods sold (COGS or Food Cost %.)
- To assist with the coordination of the menu items with the wine list.
- To assist with the establishment and maintenance of a working budget with required updates as needed
- In addition to the Executive Chef, hold daily meetings with the Restaurant Manager to ensure that VIP's are timely identified and any special arrangements properly communicated.
- To ensure that all areas under your control satisfy the most stringent hygiene requirements and that staff that are ill or injured receive the correct treatment or are not allowed to work.
- To ensure that all staff are correctly dressed to satisfy statutory requirements as well as enhancing the image of the establishment.
- To ensure that all stocks are ordered to the correct quantities, quality, and price, conduct regular stock checks/stock takes, including waste controls.
- To ensure that all stocks are being kept securely and under the correct conditions applicable to each type of commodity stored.
- Conduct thorough staff training on all kitchen equipment and document the training.
- To ensure that all statutory notices are posted at relevant and conspicuous points.
- To ensure that staff is coached, trained, and developed to perform their duties effectively to the premier standards of The Sebastian Vail.
- To ensure that attendance registers are kept daily, and that any absenteeism is immediately brought to the attention of the Human Resources Department.
- Oversee scheduling and assist with hourly payroll.
- To ensure that fair discipline is maintained.
- To ensure that all staff is treated fairly and with commonly accepted courtesy.
- To constantly update your knowledge and skills for the good of the establishment and the profession.
- Assist with updating training outlines for staff. Including standard operating procedures (SOP)’s
- Participate in monthly safety inspections.
- To ensure that the inventory procedures are accurate and done on a timely basis.
- Be knowledgeable of safety and emergency procedures and observe safety precautions required to protect hotel and guest property.
- Turn in all lost and found items to Housekeeping.
- Report any maintenance deficiencies timely.
- To attend to customer complaints satisfactorily.
- To be continually aware of, and maintain, the highest standards of personal hygiene and dress.
- Possesses and maintains through understanding of industry and stays abreast of industry trends.
- Report any work-related injuries to Human Resources.
- Have a clean and neat appearance.
- Performs other duties as assigned by manager.
- In tandem with Executive Sous Chef to ensure that all biweekly payroll is timely and accurate.
- Maintain and oversee culinary staff schedules, monitor, and document any overtime pay.
- Assist with preparing weekly schedule for all staff in accordance with business needs, avoiding over staffing and overtime.
- To ensure that all staff under your control is fully informed in respect of disciplinary procedures, the handling of grievances, etc.
- Assists with hiring, training, supervision, motivation, and development of staff; manages schedules and workflow.
- Provides day-to-day guidance and oversight of staff; actively works to promote and recognize performance.
- Keeps up to date on overall activities of the team, identifying problem areas and taking corrective actions.
- Ability to give attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with a heightened sense of urgency.
- To be available to work evenings, weekends, or holidays.
- Two to three years related experience or equivalent. Including a heightened level of confidence and knowledge involving menu and recipe development.
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards for self and team.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Must have knowledge of a variety of computer software applications.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow including appropriate delegation of tasks
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels and from various backgrounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
- Ability to stand or walk for up to 10+ hours per shift.
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to within normal range.
- Ability to bend, stretch, stoop and squat as needed.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to push up to 60 pounds.
- Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
- Work is generally performed indoors. Although local events, special events, and some banquets may be performed outside in weather, including inclement weather.
- Noise level of work environment is generally moderate.
Job Status: Full Time