Responsible for producing and providing premier food items to compliment the hotel’s restaurants while providing quality service to guests and visitors in a courteous and friendly manner and maintaining or exceeding the high standards of the hotel.
Essential functions as defined are ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents within this classification. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepares, cooks, and portions meals.
- Creates and develops new menu items for tasting.
- Demonstrates proper procedures to staff as required.
- Ensures the proper presentation of plating each menu item that will be served.
- Assists in the development and creation of menus to maintain or exceed established criteria, paying special attention to seasonal availability.
- Stores leftover food appropriately, inventories and maintains stocks of food and supplies; receives food and supplies, unpacks and stores in the appropriate location.
- Utilizes proper FIFO rotation, as well as dating and labeling of production made. Inventories and plans for large orders or special occasions.
- Communicates to supervisor the need for additional staff for large groups or events.
- Ensures that all ingredients needed are ordered to the correct quantities, quality and price, conduct regular stock checks/stock takes.
- Maintains currency in food industry and trade trends for the good of the establishment and the profession.
- Ensures that food preparation equipment, cooking and serving utensils and the kitchen work areas are orderly, clean and sanitary.
- Reads and follows menus and recipes and computes basic mathematical calculations.
- Observes safety precautions required to protect hotel and guest property.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit's service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a team.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
Skills / Requirements
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma/GED supplemented by formal coursework in culinary sciences; AND two (2) years of experience as a journey-level cook; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Principles, practices and techniques of the cooking trade.
- Food and beverage products, menus and promotions.
- Policies and procedures of the department.
- Principles, methods and equipment used in meal preparation in a restaurant setting.
- Safe work practices and sanitation related to food preparation and service.
- Inventory and record keeping principles and practices.
- Customer service principles and practices.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
- Efficiently and effectively performing cooking duties.
- Focusing on quests and provision of quality customer service.
- Making accurate arithmetic calculations.
- Reading, understanding and following recipes and oral and written directions.
- Maintaining appropriate inventory of supplies and materials.
- Training others in work processes, recipes and procedures.
- Organizing own work, setting priorities and meeting critical deadlines.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
Pay: from $15.50/hour
Job Status: Full Time