Responsible for managing staff and ensuring successful operation of the hotel bar to ensure quality and service standards of hotel are being achieved and maintained.
Essential functions as defined are ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents within this classification. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plans, organizes, administers, reviews and evaluates the work of assigned staff.
- Develops and directs the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the department; prepares and manages assigned budget.
- Oversees the selection, training, professional development and discipline of staff.
- Assists in planning goals, objectives, procedures and work standards for the unit; provides input into the unit's budget.
- Ensures attainment of budgeted food sales, beverage sales and labor costs; achieves maximum profitability and over-all success by controlling costs while providing quality of service.
- Utilizes the Labor Management System to effectively schedule to business demands and for tracking of employee time and attendance.
- Oversee service storage areas within the bar and hotel ensuring a high level of security
- Performs analyses of food & beverage pricing in relation to competition.
- Participates in the development, implementation and management of food and beverage marketing activities.
- Develops, implements and maintains department control procedures.
- Coordinates with large group meeting/banquet planners their specific group requirements with the services & facilities offered to include proposals, contracts, estimated and actual function statements.
- Ensures maintenance of resort credit policies as they apply to food and beverage operations.
- Assume all duties Maître d’ hotel, Host, Bartender and Cocktail Server in their absence.
- Directs preparation of all required reports.
- Assists in menu planning and pricing.
- Ensures proper inventory for functions, including opening and closing inventories, accurate bar summaries and cash deposits are prepared.
- Ensures the maintenance of bar control policies.
- Ensures completion of requisitions where deemed necessary.
- Ensures timely ordering/purchasing of beer, wine, liquor, premix canisters, etc.
- Comply with all health and safety regulations.
- Checks on bar food and beverage quality and service presentation.
- Ensures that services meet customer specifications.
- Liaison on an on-going basis with the Sales Department to ensure all client needs and requirements will be met.
- Works with the Chef, and all food and beverage leadership to ensure all arrangements and details are dealt with.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with groups to ensure guest satisfaction and repeat business.
- Ensures that staff maintains a professional attitude and proper appearance and uniform standards.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit's service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a team.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
Skills / Requirements
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in hotel management, or a closely related field; AND five (5) years of food and beverage operations experience; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Principles and practices of employee supervision, including selection, work planning, organization, performance review and evaluation, and employee training and discipline.
- Principles and practices of developing teams, motivating employees and managing in a team environment.
- Applicable town, county and state liquor laws.
- Wines, beers, and liquors in inventory.
- Policies and procedures of the department.
- Use of specified computer applications involving word processing, queries, data entry and/or standard report generation.
- Use of specified computer applications involving the design and management of databases or spreadsheet files and the development of special report formats.
- Office administrative practices and procedures.
- Record keeping principles and practices.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
- Planning, organizing, supervising, reviewing and evaluating the work of staff.
- Training others in policies and procedures related to the work.
- Providing customer service.
- Communicating effectively in oral and written forms.
- Organizing, maintaining and researching office files.
- Compiling and summarizing information and preparing activity reports.
- Organizing own work, setting priorities and meeting critical deadlines.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
Job Status: Full Time