Accounting Assistant - Steamboat Springs, CO
Responsible for accounts payable and accounts receivable and performs a wide range of accounting and administrative duties to support the accounting department. The best candidate will be able to multitask well, have a strong understanding of accounting functions, be able to comprehend payroll processes, and understand and know how to use technology.
Essential functions as defined are ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents within this classification. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ensures accuracy for all incoming vendor invoices.
- Enters vendor invoices into accounting control software.
- Prepares a weekly payables batch. Prints and mails checks after they have been approved.
- Keep vendor accounts up to date (call for copies of missing invoices, reviews statements, etc.)
- Maintains AP information for accuracy.
Credit & Collections:
- Creates monthly/quarterly/annual bills and statements while ensuring timely disbursement.
- Create and send monthly Opera statements to owners.
- Processes check and cash payments and records in Great Plains.
- Assist Accounting Manager following up with owners about past due balances monthly, replying to phone calls and emails from owners, and making collection calls or mailers.
- Enters debits/credits: creates and mails invoices, records, and deposits payments to proper bank accounts.
- Reconciles Petty Cash account and Credit Card charges/statements.
- Reconciles the BOK Operating account on a weekly basis.
- Reconciles all other bank accounts monthly.
- Processes data entry for bi-weekly payroll.
- Post billing to owner A/R accounts in Opera reservations software.
- Post journal entries for Opera Dailies.
- Enter and track payroll deductions (ski passes, rent, child support payments, etc.).
- Compiles information and prepares spreadsheets to assist Controller and Accounting Manager for internal and external statement preparations.
- Prepares and files monthly sales tax returns.
Steamboat Mountain Village Partnership:
- Secretary and Treasurer for SMV.
- Composes monthly Agenda & Minutes for Board Meetings and distributes.
- Attends monthly Board meetings.
- Processes all A/R and A/P.
- Completes monthly financials for the Board
- Assists with annual tax filing.
- Assists in preparing City Grant Funding reports and invoices.
- Supports other departments during high occupancy times as needed (Examples: front desk coverage, valet, housekeeping strip and prep, F&B).
- Assists with other duties as requested or assigned.
Supervisory & Training responsibilities:
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- This job does not train others.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge and/or skill required.
Education and Experience
- One-year certificate from college or technical school, six months to 1-year related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge and Skills
- Policies and procedures of the department.
- Record keeping principles and practices.
- Proper business English, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Accounting theory, debits and credits.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- 10-key by touch.
- Being familiar with computers and computer related software such as Microsoft Great Plains Accounting Software, Opera Reservations Software, ADP TotalSource Payroll & Human Resources, Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Mailchimp, and Dropbox
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Plan and prioritize tasks in a self-directed work environment and maintain high levels of productivity without direct supervision.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts.
- Interact professionally with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Gain understanding of Timbers properties, the Timbers culture, and history of One Steamboat Place.
- Communicate clearly and concisely with co-workers, management, vendors, owners, and guests.
- Work independently or in a team environment and take direction.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
- Must rarely lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally required to stand and walk.
- Continually required to sit for extended periods of time, utilize hand and finger dexterity, to talk and hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision; distance vision; color vision; peripheral vision; depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- Occasionally/rarely exposed to outside weather conditions
- Specialized equipment, machines, or vehicles used: computer, printer, scanners, shredder, and phones.
Pay: $20 to $22/hour
Job Status: Full Time