Chef de Partie
Responsible for supervising the staff and activities of a specific section of kitchen operations.
Essential functions as defined are ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents within this classification. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ensures operations are organized and that meals are prepared, delivered on-time and in adherence to accepted standards.
- Assists with training of staff.
- Focus on complies with all food safety and hygiene requirements
- Assists with development and planning of menu and daily specials.
- Prepares, cooks, and portions meals.
- Communicates to supervisor the need for additional staff for large groups or events.
- Maintains currency in food industry and trade trends for the good of the establishment and the profession.
- Ensures that food preparation equipment, cooking and serving utensils, and the kitchen work areas are orderly, clean and sanitary.
- Reads and follows menus and recipes and computes basic mathematical calculations.
- Reports any mechanical issues with the Engineering Department.
- Stores leftover food appropriately, inventories and maintains stocks of food and supplies; receives food and supplies, unpacks and stores in the appropriate location.
- Assists with china, silver and glass inventory; maintains storeroom organization including par levels of equipment in outlet storage cages.
- Assists with breakage control procedures, also responsible for the care and contrition of plates, bowls and all food service vessels.
- Ensures adherence to stringent hygiene requirements and that staff that are ill or injured receive the correct treatment or are not allowed to work.
- Ensures adherence to safety and emergency procedures required to protect hotel and guest property.
- Resolves customer complaints/queries satisfactorily.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit's service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a team.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
Skills / Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge and/or skill required.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma/GED supplemented by formal coursework in culinary sciences; AND two (2) years of experience as a journey-level cook; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Principles, practices and techniques of the cooking trade.
- Food and beverage products, menus and promotions.
- Policies and procedures of the department.
- Principles, methods and equipment used in meal preparation in a restaurant setting.
- Safe work practices and sanitation related to food preparation and service.
- Inventory and record keeping principles and practices.
- Customer service principles and practices.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
- Training others in policies and procedures related to the work.
- Performing budgeting and accounting functions for assigned operations.
- Efficiently and effectively performing cooking duties.
- Focusing on quests and provision of quality customer service.
- Making accurate arithmetic calculations.
- Reading, understanding and following recipes and oral and written directions.
- Maintaining appropriate inventory of supplies and materials.
- Organizing own work, setting priorities and meeting critical deadlines.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
Pay: $18 to $20/hour
Job Status: Full Time